A very interesting chain when it comes to eco-travel: Banyantree Resorts is one of the top-end resort chains in the world, with high growth prospects, moving up from within 3 years from 52 to 90 locations, and 7,000 to 20,000 staff !
What is interestring is that even if they grow, they are not changing their focus, still very much on sustainability and responsible travel – as shown below with some of their green initiatives:
– everything starts with the design of each lodge – all based on sustainability
– Training is a major priority of the chain
– Banyan Tree’s Green Imperative Fund provides financial support for environmental initiatives and community-based projects. Guests can contribute US$2 per night of stay at hotels and resorts. Banyan Tree matches guests’ contributions dollar for dollar to grow the fund.
– There is also a natural resource conservation programme with the objective of reducing the energy and water consumption at resorts by 10% annually for the next three years.
– last but not least each Banyan Tree property appoints a CSR/sustainability champion who not only manages and trains resort staff, but shares examples with a group CSR committee.