From low-flow showerheads to low-flow toilets, recycling and serving water at hotel restaurants only when requested, more and more hotels are taking the green plunge to make the earth a healthier, happier place to live. The following is a list of 10 Eco-friendly hotels in Florida that are paving the way to a more eco-friendly travel experience:
- Plantation Golf Resort & Spa, Crystal River, Florida | With a focus on water, energy and solid waste conservation, this hotel spa/resort is a proud member of the Green Hotels Association as well as the Rues Selection of Eco Friendly Hotels Worldwide.
- Clifton South Beach Hotel, Miami Beach, Florida | This two-story, 35-room hotel generates an eco-conscious atmosphere with features and amenities such as: dimmable LED lighting, reflective roofing, energy efficient windows and rooms that are equipped with an occupancy sensing energy management system. Additionally, many materials used in the hotel's construction are also eco-friendly, such as: drywall and carpeting fabricated using recycled content, interior pain containing ZERO volatile organic compounds and mattresses composed of 100% renewable materials. For more of the hotel's impressive Green features, see the source link earlier.
- The Shore Club, Key Biscayne, Florida | Boasting hand-woven tribal rugs, original terrazzo floors and other elegant hand-made furnishings from around the world, this hotel was the first hotel on South Beach to earn the Green Lodging One Palm Certification from the state of Florida. The Green Lodging Program was first established in 2004 by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) with the intent of recognizing and rewarding environmentally conscientious lodging facilities within the state.
- Saddlebrook Resort, Wesley Chapel, Florida | Recognized by the DEP as a Florida Green Lodging Property and awarded with the "One Palm Certification," the Saddlebrook boasts more than $50 million in renovations to make it a more eco-friendly travel destination. Some of their improvements? A new laundry service featuring biodegradable detergents; customized linen services in which guests decide whether or not they would like their clothing laundered; individually-computer-controlled rooms that keep the temperature set correctly when you are not there; Electric carts for golfing.
- The Colony Hotel, Delray Beach, Florida | A founding member of the "Green" Hotels Association and having won the prestigious Green Business Award from Florida Atlantic University in 1996, The Colony Hotel continues to encourage, promote and support ecological consciousness in the hotel industry. Examples of eco-friendly features at this hotel include: the elimination of styrofoam food containers, aerosol spray products and plastic trashcan liners as well as the use of non-toxic cleaning materials. Other changes that this hotel has made include: no smoking, using eco-friendly construction materials in renovation projects and the use of live plants to clean interior spaces.
About the Author: Janelle is an avid travel enthusiast and blog manager for one of the leading car shipping companies in the United States, National Transport, LLC.