Tuesday, November 18, 2008
Banyan Tree Hotels and Resorts, a recognized brand for responsible travel
A very interesting chain when it comes to eco-travel: Banyantree Resorts is one of the top-end resort chains in the world, with high growth prospects, moving up from within 3 years from 52 to 90 locations, and 7,000 to 20,000 staff !
What is interestring is that even if they grow, they are not changing their focus, still very much on sustainability and responsible travel - as shown below with some of their green initiatives:
- everything starts with the design of each lodge - all based on sustainability
- Training is a major priority of the chain
- Banyan Tree’s Green Imperative Fund provides financial support for environmental initiatives and community-based projects. Guests can contribute US$2 per night of stay at hotels and resorts. Banyan Tree matches guests’ contributions dollar for dollar to grow the fund.
- There is also a natural resource conservation programme with the objective of reducing the energy and water consumption at resorts by 10% annually for the next three years.
- last but not least each Banyan Tree property appoints a CSR/sustainability champion who not only manages and trains resort staff, but shares examples with a group CSR committee.